Saturday, October 07, 2006

Never Work / Diligence

Last night I went to Th' Dudes, Hello Sailor and Hammond Gamble at the Saint James, which manifested itself as a quality experience. The investment of additional money in drink enhanced it further. At present I am still reeling, drunk, at Mat's work. I don't feel safe driving home until I've fully given the alcohol a proper chance to wear off, and as such I'm overdaying here until four o' clock, when Mat will finish and take me back to my car. You can tell how bored I am by the fact that I'm blogging. I was intending to get back to it anyway, but partly I didn't feel it was appropriate to follow up the Steve Irwin "obituary" (RIP) with, well, anything really, and otherwise I've just been trying to live life directly for once as opposed to letting it be mediated through inauthenticies and falsities and imagery as the Internet has a tendency to do (Situationist International for the win).


Anyway, the concert was excellent. Hello Sailor was supposed to be playing acoustic sets on this, Radio Hauraki's fourtieth anniversary commemorative tour, in conjunction with their recently-released acoustic album When The Lights Are Out, however, it seemed that they had thought better of doing this by the time they reached Auckland last night (it is quite a way into the tour) perhaps spurred on by audience response at previous shows. The result was that they really rocked out in a spectacular performance that would probably easily set itself on a par with the Hello Sailor of the seventies. Highlights were Graham Brazier's awesome harmonica work and interestingly interesting dance movements and methods et ceterahhh. Th' Dudes were of course comparably awes9ome with me being drunk to the point that I took my shirt off during Bliss, yes, and repeatedly shouted "Peter Urlich is the man!" through all the songs instead of listening to them. People got annoyed with me. Mat collaborated, with me, not the annoying people.


I also bore a striking five dollar shirt from the Warehouse that I had emblazoned in fabric marker "HELLO SAILOR" across the front (Mat's idea and he also went ahead with it). Incoherent. The night was punctuated in grammatically incorrect places by people we were passing by being told "Hello, Sailor!" in a jolly manner. Line Red. Panic! At The Disco are, for the record, a horrendous band and I am led to believe by my expert telling apart of wannabe-emo vocalists that I am being forced to listen to them right now by Mat's co-worker, whose name I don't know because I can't concentrate and who I went to the bakery with before to get a massive tank of a croissant for one dollars and eighty cents' worth of twenty cent coins, as he is cranking it in the shop but now there is lots of customers so everybody better be shush (PS his name is Ony). Mat thought the boss was here before and he was gonna smack my bitch ass off the computer, that he may look like a good man. He's leaving the position soon anyway. Tomorrow he has to try and remember to bring the TV to work so that he can watch Bathurst all day. Oh yes and we only got one hour of sleep last night which probably doesn't help my decidedly artistically miffed state. Save the Rails.

I don't know what the heck kind of idea Toll Holdings think they're doing by threatening to close the North Island Main Trunk Railway, which is of course a very important transport artery of New Zealand and which many of the towns throughout the North Island were built as a result of its existence, just because high track access fees pushed by Ontrack -- that being the former New Zealand Railways Corporation, the government, which now owns the tracks -- are going to cause them to pull less of an absolutely gargantuan profit. Haven't these Australian business imperialists ever heard of social responsibility to a nation? I guess not because we are New Zealand, but these idiots want to put tonnes more trucks on the roads instead of having trains, because it saves on costs. You capitalist bastards. You, capitalist bastards. It's kind of weird that this is happening right after Toll feigned the will to completely shut down the legendary Overlander train service between Wellington and Auckland in what seemed to be an attempt to milk aid out of the government.


I don't know who what you're kidding by deciding that Latin American was a good subject for me to take and that it is money well spent. I am going to fail the bloody thing. And guess what? I took it that I may get into a Paul Buchanan paper, but with the release of the 2007 Arts Course Handbook it has turned out that the prerequisites for that course have been broadened now anyway so I'm just going to be able to get in having passed two stage politics papers already! So it's a complete waste of suffering and time and effort. Also, one of the other Paul Buchanan papers that was supposed to be happening next year for stage three has taken a crap and died and been taken off the list. Less fetish material less fetish material. Not fair not fair. What an arse. Primo, he's got this philosophy. Art student. You fine arts student. You're fine.

This has been time well spent doing a poofaced blog that I have given up on when I should slash not could have been doing ethnomusicology and Latin American suckful assignments due on Friday, Friday on which I will be occupied chasing steam trains around the south of Auckland and the north of the Waikato with Mat's camera that I have yet to ask him if I can borrow. Yes I am a trainspotter. Marcus Lush is. That makes it even more cool. Don't deny that you like steam trains. Diesels even, or electrics. Trains are good, even though some Situationist theorists seem to take the approach that it symbolises the dehumanising bullcrap procedure of not swearing and of blimmin' shuffling along to work each day, line red. But this is hopeless, atrocious. I'm still working at ze air conditioning manufakturer at the teh moment buttt, buttttocks I have some potential jobs lined up, I hope that I will perhaps get them. It is always a possibility. Yea Mat stop talking to that lady.

Alex put the 9 in the awesome. I hope you enjoyed the post Pie. I have MSN anyway. See ya there.

This is the chemical dump, boy.


Mmmmate.


mate.
Here's me being Graham.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, what's the deal with the Buchanan papers? I read that he is doing 332 (Comparative Regime Transition) and 736 (Transitional Dynamics) in S1, then 234 (Comarative Politics of Latin America) in S2. That is standard, as he alternates the Revolutions paper (334) with the 332 every other year. 234 was lifted to a one-off 317 this year due to a request from the LAS people, but returns to its normal identity next year.

BTW--I hear that Buchanan may be leaving the University, so all of this could change in a hurry.

10/09/2006 12:51 pm  
Blogger Gary said...

According to the 2007 Faculty of Arts Undergraduate Handbook, which has as far as I know just been released, yes, he's doing 332 and 234 next year, but I was for a long time under the impression that I was going to be able to do 317 next year. I took Latinam 201 (Latin American History and Culture Through Film) with the intention of gaining entry to 317. Now I'm caught in the unenviable situation of being likely to fail Latinam 201, and also having sat it for no reason.

I noticed 234 in the handbook -- I had wondered if that was a signification of how the situation had changed. I don't think I'll be doing that, as I need to do three stage three politics papers next year to get my degree, and my second semester is full as well.

I've always been a fan of Buchanan and as such I've been looking forward to doing his papers, so it's a disappointment to hear that he may be leaving the university. It was essentially held up in my mind as the prospective ultimate culmination of my undergraduate years.

Most probably I will be back before long. I would like to come back anyway.

10/09/2006 3:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buchanan got fired last week! There is a move to protest the unjustified dismissal (he wrote an angry email to a student asking for an extension the day after the assignment was due and the class had ended). He said nothing racial, sexual, cultural etc., but did slam the student hard for being lame and for coming up with a dead dad excuse that he did not bellieve. The word is that higher forces are involved. People are freaking!

7/31/2007 12:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home