Sunday, December 18, 2005

It's Just A Paper War

It's little more than a month after the conclusion of my first year of university, and my mum is already insisting that I should have decided on all of my courses for next year by today. Needless to say, the selection of what papers I am going to do is certainly not a process to be taken lightly. My choices will determine my academic route throughout the rest of my university life, with mum not wanting me to take more than three years to get my Bachelor of Arts degree, proclaiming that I will be cut off financially if I fail to meet the family's expectations.

The diversity of the possibilities is virtually limitless -- at least, limitless enough to cause me some serious trouble. One choice I could make is simply to continue on with my media studies/politics double major, with a minor in sociology complementing it. That is the route that my mum and I sat down and planned out together, so it's all prepped and ready to be taken up. However, as many of you will know, I'm really not sure if I stand on favourable ground in terms of my opinions towards the media anymore.

For me, the recent events in Australia have painted a clear picture of the sort of influence that the media has over the rest of society. The media does not so much reflect society as opposed to actually moulding and shaping society to disagreeable, very often corporate whims. In the case of Australia the media has played the role of perpetuating fear of difference for a long period and this has virtually directly resulted in the horrendous violence that has been occurring there since this time last week. Fear is the news media's middle name.

Despite my stance, I still have aspirations of becoming a journalist -- it seems to be something within me that cannot be fought down. I feel as if I am supposed to make that particular "contribution" to society. But numerous people, including my parents, try to encourage me by saying that I could "make a difference," and I find that hard to agree with. Contrary to what some extraneous stories may suggest, the power of one is minute. Besides which, it needs to be taken into account that journalists are under the governance of their publication.

In the end the fact is that the news companies are selling the information to an audience. They want this audience to be as broad as possible, and as such journalists are required to turn out palletable material that people of a wide range of ideologies can bear to read. The journalists' ideas are watered down so as to ensure the publication pulls a constant profit. There is also the unrealistic, but nonetheless aesthetically upheld in most circumstances, expectation that journalism should be as moderate or as neutral as possible. But there's no such thing as an absence of bias.

The two directly news-related papers that I have sat this year -- Media Studies, and Politics of the Media -- have both brought me uncomfortably to the realisation that the media is not a good thing, in that it has completely changed the face of our society to suit the interests of profit. I am of the strong belief that all of us are significantly a construct of the ideas that we are exposed to through the media as opposed to legitimate soul-searching. As such I see the role of the media as immoral, and although I recognise I could be a part of it, I don't know if I could live with myself.

Ultimately the question that I should be asking myself today as I make my decisions as to what papers I will take next year is, "what do I want to do for the rest of my life?" I feel unfavourably towards that question and towards the fact that I am sternly expected to have a career. I hope to enter into postgraduate study after I get my degree and as such I feel a need to focus on a specific area in my undergraduate years, and then carry that over into postgraduate. There is no sign of the freedom of the Bachelor of Arts that so many people cite as being there.

Journalism is the only profession that I have truly aspired to at any time in my life and I virtually dreamed about it throughout my high school years. My teachers had constantly asserted that they thought I would make a good journalist. I had psyched myself up to become a journalist. It is all that I have ever known as a life goal, so it feels decidedly odd to be in a position now where I am considering casting it off. Many people scoff at my proposed alternative of joining the academic staff at the university. It certainly may be a less realistic aspiration than becoming a journalist, but the upside is I wouldn't have to become a walking contradiction of everything that I have come to believe.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://forums.punkas.com/search.php?search_author=Landser
http://jewsarescum.blogspot.com/

just something that might interest you

12/18/2005 1:04 pm  
Blogger Gary said...

Alright, that's extremely disconcerting, not least because he is actually a reasonable writer and as a consequence could be perceived to hold some degree of intellectual legitimacy.

I have a tendency to forget that there are such militant guerilla activists as that person. Perhaps it's worthy of concern that blogs provide them with a medium through which to promote hate crimes?

I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with the blog of someone who commented there by the name of weezil. Machine Gun Keyboard is an extremely professionally done blog that I shall look forward to keeping up with.

So, I still haven't decided on my papers and this is not a good thing. Apparently, the media papers "sell out" rather quickly and as such I need to confirm whether I am doing them or not as soon as possible.

Someone suggested that I enrol in all of the papers that I am considering taking, and then un-enrol from the ones that I have decided against taking closer to the time, but I expect that that could make it all even more daunting and confusing.

12/19/2005 3:59 pm  
Blogger Gary said...

I didn't realise that Paul Buchanan lectured Security Studies. In the handbook it says that the course convenor is "to be advised." That paper has just become another one of my definites, along with Raymond's. I would b0rk out completely if I ever missed out on doing a Paul Buchanan paper. I enrolled at the University of Auckland already convinced that his lectures would probably be the highlight of my academic life as a student.

I'm pretty keen on the idea of doing a double major in politics and philosophy and it has been one of the main alternatives to my current course that I have been thinking about, as you know. It's difficult deciding whether or not to drop media though. What if philosophy turned out to not be my cup of p33, and I ended up locked into that path (but I wouldn't because I could just change to a politics single major)?

There are so many things to consider and this decision feels as if it carries so much weighting towards the rest of my life, probably due to the fact that it does. You make a good point about philosophy's win factors over media. I'm just wary of the fact that I might change my mind after I've omitted media from my life. But being a philosophy and politics double major working on the academic staff seems almost as natural a destination as the media.

Thanks for your help, Pie. I'm so grateful that you told me about that Paul Buchanan paper in particular. You should tell everyone you know who is considering taking politics papers that he lectures 237. There are many people who would be mortally disappointed if they missed out on doing that. Now, I must continue considering my opinions on the media so as to help me with my decision...

12/20/2005 8:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, if you are motivated to write about current affairs- and do so as cogently as you do- you're a top candidate to be a great journalist.

I was a working press hack for around 20 years until a drink driver trashed my legs. In retrospect, I would do it all over again, even if I'd never gotten a paycheque.

Best of luck to you, my friend.

12/21/2005 1:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home