Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Who Set All These Lab Monkeys Free?

In an effort to combat the abundance of boredom that has the tendency to be brought forward by having nothing do -- and which, despite being contrary to what I probably often say, I must say I appreciate a great deal -- I have started playing StarCraft again for the first time in a long time. In fact it is probably several years since my last seriously avid stint. It's a great, although strange, sensation to have all those memories and feelings from intermediate school come flooding back.

I've noticed that I can appreciate the storyline of the game much more now, too. Blizzard Entertainment, the creators of StarCraft, are well-known for their exciting and well-integrated narratives. It must not be easy to get it to function so well with a real-time strategy game. My new perceptions on the storyline are obviously reflective of the fact that the last time I was really into this game was back before 11 September, 2001, when I possessed virtually no political or sociological consciousness to speak of. I was blissfully unaware.

There is an organisation within the game known as the Kel-Morian Combine, an interplanetary mining coalition and renegade pirate group that operates outside of the law of the Terran Confederate government (that is, the main representation of human empire in the game -- they all have southern United States accents). One would expect the Combine to be in the bad books of the Confederacy -- not so however, because the pirates actually supply the dominant power with fuel and resources. As such, no military action is taken against them. Personally I can't help but draw parellels between that in-game scenario, and the real-life situation that exists in the relationship that the United States has with Saudi Arabia.

The case of the cracks forming in the culture of the highly spiritual, alien Protoss race also seem poignantly relevant. Since its inception, Protoss society had operated under a complex tribal system. Although this did afford extra significance to the members and specific cultures of individual tribes, some Protoss of the more recent generations saw it as an archaic and ancient tradition that had the potential to breed separatism and they sought to discard the tribal set-up in favour of a simple heirarchical caste system. The transition was not made, however, until post an extended period of tribal conflict known as the Aeon of Strife that resulted in the subjugation of many tribes' values. This seems to me, to almost mirror the forced real-world decline of religion being perceived as relevant to societal politics, particularly when one takes into account the fact that individual Protoss still refer back to their tribal ties, but merely for tradition's sake as opposed to practicality's sake.

Even if I am reading too much into all of that, I'm having a lot of fun doing it. I guess you'll only really get the relevance if you've played the game. I saw The Exorcism of Emily Rose at the cinema with Alison and Cynthia last night. Leitch made some
interesting comments over at his space. I think that the motive of the narrative certainly was to encourage the viewer to question their beliefs; indeed, it made me think a lot. Not believing in angels and demons as such, but also not believing in the non-existence of a spiritual plane, I found it quite thought-provoking. At some points I found myself trying to refer back to my own spiritual beliefs as I thought it all over, however I was so immersed in the film that it was hard to stray from the path that it had set out, which I think is a credit to the director (sorry for omitting names here). There was also some very solid acting in the film, and Father More was portrayed endearingly. The casting really couldn't have been better.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU!
need to get all the warcraft games and play thru ALL OF THEM

then
GET WoW

12/07/2005 6:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No.

and seen the original?

12/07/2005 6:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and seen the original?

seen what original?

12/08/2005 2:41 pm  
Blogger Gary said...

Unfortunately, I missed out on getting to play the WarCraft III games during their utmost prime, due to the fact that I was running Windows 95 on my computer, with which the games were not compatible.

There's not much incentive to jump into it now, given that a lot of people seem to have moved on to other things. One must also take into account the fact that I am decidedly restricted financially at the time of writing. Dial-up is hardly adequate for multiplayer anyway.

12/09/2005 12:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually you know what change my bassist to LES CLAYPOOL

and replace josh homme with BUCKETHEAD

THERE
I WIN
PERIOD

:D

YAY

12/09/2005 7:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woops wrong blog lololzzl;olzz

12/09/2005 7:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anyway back on topic
who said to play warcraft for multiplayer? just get copies off friends and play thru them for the storyline because it's cool
cheatcode thru it even

12/09/2005 7:19 pm  
Blogger Gary said...

Cheating is heresy against boredom busting. I'm sure I could handle the campaigns anyway. They can't be that hard. Wouldn't there be dialogue during the missions like in StarCraft? In that light it's probably funner to play it properly because the dialogue would be more in context.

12/10/2005 11:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they're not hard, but some are time consuming
like when i first got the game (and the expansion too) i just powercheated through the whole thing just for the story

and dialogues during missions... haha triggers are much more advanced in war3 than starcraft

aaaanyway
les claypool and buckethead in my band
do i win now?

12/12/2005 8:29 am  
Blogger Gary said...

Eric, although I acknowledge the musical prowess of your choices, your band does not own mine. This was never meant to be a competition, but rather an expression of one's taste and exhibition of deliberation towards making hard choices.

12/13/2005 7:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^^^pwnt

:)

12/14/2005 12:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home