Sunday, December 04, 2005

Supergroup

It seems as though a lull has fallen over the blog circles, probably in light of the fact that it is somehow potentially more worthwhile to be outside, ruining one's eyes in the sunlight, than it is to be inside, ruining one's eyes in front of the computer screen. I know that I've been making a concerted effort to not spend too much time on the computer each day; this became a particularly important factor once the Internet hours started running down. There was also the issue to contemplate that sometimes, when I get off the computer, I really do feel as if I've achieved nothing within my several hours of browsing. The case of information overload contributes especially to this feeling. It all has it's upsides sometimes though. Time spent online can be rewarding, I admit.

I've been thinking about this on and off for a few months after seeing a thread about it on the message boards at Prog Archives -- if you ever were to conceive of what you personally would believe to be the ultimate band, who do you think the members would be? It's a surprisingly hard question, I believe, having thought about it for a significant amount of time and still not yet come to a positively definitive conclusion. The difficulty of the task is accentuated by the Prog Archives regular's insistence at the time that no two band members that you select may originate from the same band. For me, this meant that I had to write out a lot of my favourite musicians, albeit I accept it at the same time because if the restriction were not in place, people would undoubtedly simply be doing things such as merging their two favourite bands together.

There are a number of factors that it would pay for one to take into account when arranging their ultimate band, but probably the first thing that should be considered is what not to take into account. The most important aspect of the latter action is that one should not even bother to consider one's various chosen artists' social compatibility. Compatibility is, to put it simply, a practically incomprehensible part of the structure of a band, at least from the lowly fan's point of view, especially given all of the arrogant posturing that tends to go on. However, factors that one might want to consider include how the musicians' respective styles would complement each other in performance, and who would be the provider or providers of showpersonship on-stage.

After much deliberation this is the "ultimate band" that I have come up with myself, however, as I said earlier on in the piece it is not any sort of official arrangement. Some very difficult decisions had to be made in selecting which members were going to be lined up, and which were not. Individual bands that are great appropriately have the tendency to contain several great musicians. In an advancement from what was done on Prog Archives I've listed the musicians with their name and original band (primary band if they have been members of multiple), which roles they will play in this particular band, and a song that I believe to effectively showcase the skills that I would wish them to put to use in my ultimate band. I'd be interested to see what line-ups other people come up with and hear what you think of mine.

David Gilmour of Pink Floyd: Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar and Lead VocalsDavid Gilmour of Pink Floyd
Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Lead Vocals
Echoes

Christopher Squire of Yes
Electric Bass Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Vocal Harmonies
Yours Is No Disgrace

Jónsi Birgisson of Sigur Rós
Chris Squire of Yes: Electric Bass Guitar, Acoustic Guitar and Vocal HarmoniesBowed Electric Guitar, Alternative Lead Vocals
Viðrar vel til loftárása (Tk. 7 on Ágætis byrjun)

Phil Selway of Radiohead
Drums, Percussion
Paranoid Android

Tony Banks of Genesis
Piano, Keyboards, Hammond Organ, Mellotron
The Cinema Show

John Helliwell of Supertramp
Saxophone
Crime Of The Century

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mike patton
from... faith no more, mr. bungle, fantomas, tomahawk, and god knows how many other side band/collaborations
vocals

billy corgan
from... the smashing pumpkins, zwan
guitars

josh homme
from... kyuss, queens of the stone age
guitars

flea
from... red hot chili peppers
bass

dale crover
from... the melvins, nirvana
drums

god dammit man
my band soooo owns your band

12/06/2005 8:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paddy

I would create a band of ultimate abysmalness to save people the trouble of listing awful bands.

Mark Hoppus from blink 182 on bass

Pierre Bouvier from simple plan on lyrics and vocals

Chad Gilbert and Steve Klein from A new found glory on guitar

i cant be bothered finding a drummer, im sick of looking up names for these crappy musicians.

God damn your bands soooooo own my band

12/06/2005 8:48 pm  
Blogger Gary said...

In answer to Xavier: the URL is most certainly a reference to Dogs.

Eric, I hardly think your band owns my band. For a start they both would be playing completely different kinds of music to one another. You've got to compare apples with apples. And my apples really are some apples! Admittedly both line-ups would be quite competent though. You chose several musicians that I know of and respect.

I can definitely empathise with all of the choices that you made, Pie. I very nearly included Thom Yorke in my line-up, as he is possibly my favourite vocalist. However I did not want David Gilmour's and Chris Squire's vocal talents to be wasted; plus they also have their absolute proficiency with their instruments to contribute to the band. Also, Phil Selway is my favourite drummer and he is from Radiohead, and I wasn't about to leave him out, so unfortunately Thom Yorke missed the cut.

Obviously I desperately wanted to include Roger Waters but I feel, with all due respect, that he is not a particularly startling bassist -- at least compared to Chris Squire -- and so he had to be written out in favour of David Gilmour contributing on the electric guitar.

It's ironic that my line-up has turned out like this. I would say that Roger Waters is overall my very most favourite musician, but I guess that when I was constructing the band I did not take into account songwriting ability.

Peter Gabriel of Genesis has also been unjustly left out. I needed a keyboardist. The other choice was Rick Wakeman of Yes, but Squire was already representing that band in my line-up. Thus it had to be Tony Banks of Genesis who filled the keyboardist role. If I had not chosen him I would have had a lot of trouble finding another keyboardist who I saw as worthy. As a vocalist, Gabriel also would have potentially conflicted with Gilmour and Squire.

See, the reality's a lot harder than one thinks it will be before they try to do this! There are a myriad of possibilites for line-ups. I am feeling thoroughly guilty for all of my glaring omissions now.

Finally -- Paddy, I'd just like to say that any band that has Pierre Bouvier as its lyricist is bound to own incomprehensibly. I think we all know that.

12/06/2005 9:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a start they both would be playing completely different kinds of music to one another.

not neccessarily... you ARE familiar with the musicians i named right? i'm sure they're versatile enough to do anything your band can do ;)

in fact
i'm pretty sure that my band can be comfortable doing ANY genre

seriously
name me a genre

12/07/2005 2:52 am  
Blogger Gary said...

Symphonic progressive rock.

I'm sorry but, in particular, no bassist can match Squire, and certainly no guitarist can match Gilmour. They're in a class of their own and I don't think there are other musicians who could truly do these people's styles justice.

Pie, I like the thought of all those people that you chose being in a supergroup together. The idea of Roger Waters speaking to Billy Corgan is enough to make me crack a smile. There'd be a fair bit of abrasive tension, that's for sure.

I don't know much about Thom Yorke's character but somehow I feel compelled to draw conclusions about him from Radiohead's music and how he delivers the vocals. It's possible that Roger holds some respect for Thom, again I don't really know. Anyway, I said that I would not consider all this because it is too complicated and you end up making all these presuppositions about some of the people that you respect the most.

I'll have to buy that Led Zep DVD. You're not the first person who I've heard praise it. Unfortunately, I'm all but completely broke at the moment. I wonder if they've got it at Whitcoulls? I have thirty dollars worth of vouchers. But then if it's a two-disc set I'm in a predicament.

12/07/2005 9:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Symphonic progressive rock.

dude
i don't think you're familiar enough with these musicians i named here

mike patton? it's MIKE PATTON
symphonic shit... he is definately familiar with
same with prog

i can say the same with billy corgan too
DEFINATELY

josh homme i am confident in his pwnaging of music i think he should do fine here too

flea just flat out owns

dale crover... he's fuckin versatile as FUCK man

all these musicians here are versatile as fuck

12/07/2005 5:44 pm  
Blogger Gary said...

I didn't for a moment mean to imply that your choices of musicians are not versatile. I just don't think that the output of our two bands would be very similar at all.

Also, with all due respect, I don't think that Flea could play bass in the specific unique style of Squire, nor could Josh Homme make the guitar talk in the way that Gilmour does. That's not to say that Flea and Homme are not versatile musicians.

12/09/2005 12:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home