Sunday, November 13, 2005

Time Immaterial?

It seems impossible to fathom. The epic struggle that was the last university exam period of the year is over. I am hoping that I have passed every course, because if I haven't my mum's certainly going to have something to say about it. Somehow all of that doesn't matter now, though. The holidays are here and I, along with many other people, have an absolutely gargantuan amount of free time sprawling out in front of me; imploring me to make actual use of it, as opposed to just wage labouring sixty hours a week like I did last summer.

In anticipation of the fact that if I did not make plans I would inevitably waste this summer, however, I have ensured that there is a significant amount of productive (productively fun) activity in store for me. Contrasting with that, I will wage labour a mere eleven hours per week, for the sole reasons of paying for petrol (I shouldn't even be driving anyway) and saving up to help pay next year's university tuition fees. I can say with a great degree of confidence that I am going to find it thoroughly pleasurable to give my manager one week's notice of the fact that I am going to leave, come late December. He deserves no better considering the way that he has treated me.


The ball last night, organised by Jenni and her father, was great fun. I don't think that I could have done without something like that after my last exam. It gave a sense of resolution and it was important for me to have a gathering with some of my best friends to mark the end of the university year, which I do not hesitate to say has been something of a battle at a significant number of points. It really is my new friends that got me through this year. Everybody put so much effort into looking good for the ball that I felt rather guilty having gone in the clothes that I wore to my exam. Nonetheless it was very fun anyway. Alison and Cynthia were resplendent in fantastic 1920s-esque garb. Jenni and her dad had decorated the scout cub den with streamers, balloons and fairy lights. Nicola had prepared a massive feast of nibbles.

It is now that those of us who attended university this year stand on a milestone, having survived the first year of our tertiary education and come out the other end more-or-less psychologically intact. To be honest, I was virtually already in "holiday mode" when I honourably completed my film exam on Thursday, due to the fact that passing sociology (my final exam proper, which I sat yesterday) meant nothing to me in comparison. I'm slightly disconcerted by the fact that in the time between the two exams, I was already feeling myself becoming rather bored, with nothing to do. Also, I am conscious of the fact that the holidays do not really start until Tuesday -- since I have wage labour today and tomorrow -- and until the sun comes back. All of this, however, fails to belittle the fact that this point in the year has been reached at last. There is much fun to be had. I'm looking forward to being able to take my time.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the invite.

11/13/2005 3:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a different anonymous to me...

11/13/2005 5:37 pm  
Blogger Rin said...

haha yeah yay summers here.it feels so nice:)

glad to hear you enjoyed yourself at jennys ball.

yay exams are over yay.
i get to work lots now yay.

good job on deciding to leave pak n save.do you think you're going to find another job?
i think im about to venture out into the wonderful world of retail again this summer...

11/13/2005 10:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go back to Mc Ds, it's for the best.

I hate myself actually

11/13/2005 10:58 pm  
Blogger Gary said...

I'm definitely going to get another job -- not until we are back at uni though. I am looking forward to actually enjoying this summer as opposed to working it off.

Indeed, I will probably have to get back into strategy games these holidays in light of Pie's comment. I used to be an avid Civilisation II aficionado. It's unfortunate that my computer doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive either.

11/14/2005 9:19 am  
Blogger Gary said...

Heinously, I forgot to acknowledge Alison's birthday in this entry. So, happy birthday Ali!

11/14/2005 9:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary please don't do that. You could play a few nights but don't waste your time with computer gammes, you'll wonder what happened to your holiday.

I found it odd that the birthday had never been mentioned anywhere...

11/14/2005 6:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And pie unless you had a lap top or no more spaces left to fit a DVD drive, why would you go external?

Unless you had no idea how to instal the internal, in which case the computer is a magical machine with lights

11/14/2005 6:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude get a myspace already

11/15/2005 5:59 am  
Blogger Gary said...

Fifty dollars plus the price of the game is still pretty steep. I can't really afford to spend any amount of money that is significant at all. I need to make what I've got at the moment last until we go back to uni.

Anonymous is also right though. I spend too long on the computer daily as it is, reading over the blog roll, news, forums and things like that. Getting into games would make me even more indoors-bound.

The holidays are also for spending time with friends. I am aware that it can be argued that playing multiplayer games is spending time with friends, but you know what I mean. I think it's in the best interests of my financial, physical and psychological health to just sit here and be bored, if need be.

11/15/2005 8:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Internals are cheaper, there's less parts. The $50 External will be from the back of a truck or really cheap quality.

My space is the devil. They all are actually

11/15/2005 2:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pie, Fuck off!

11/16/2005 11:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pitty I missed that comment of yours. I wonder if I should use an account. There is more then one annon.

Oh and 'Fuck off' was to be taken lightly, as that's basically what you are saying to everyone every time you post, it's in your avatar, which I have no problem with.

11/29/2005 1:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home