Monday, September 12, 2005

As We Return To The Mindfield

This is the day that we have been dreading, but at the same time looking forward to, for a considerable time. Most of us will be returning to university today for our first lectures of Semester Two (Pt. 2). There are not any classes running today in which I am enrolled, but I'll be going to Raymond Miller's stage two lecture about New Zealand elections. Obviously his lectures in the weeks that sit on either side of Election Day are going to be particularly fascinating. I can confidently say that so far this semester, Raymond Miller's lectures have easily been my favourites, which is ironic and perhaps even slightly entertaining given the fact that Hannah, Alison and I are all regular imposters in that class as opposed to actual enrolled students.

Forgive me for being the complainant, but today's schedule has set itself up quite rigidly. On my way to university I have to stop into the bank and interrogate the innocent clerk who has nothing to do with anything as to why my tertiary account allowed me to overdraft, and then subsequently charged me twenty dollars for a supposedly unauthorised overdraft. I thought that it was a given that tertiary students have a tendency to go into overdraft, and as such a tertiary account should not charge for overdrafts? I'm earning roughly ninety dollars a week at the moment and forty of that gets put into an account to pay for next year's uni fees. I can't afford to be deprived of another twenty dollars by the patronising bank.

After going to the bank of course comes the good part of the day (although it is still part of a rigid schedule nonetheless, which serves to irritate) -- I get to go to Raymond Miller's lecture which will undoubtedly be enthralling beyond comprehension. It's going to be excellent to hear an alternative interpretation of the current polls and the colourful political events that have occurred over the past couple of weeks that we've been away from university, especially from an academic scholar; an expert on "elite opinion." It should be good in the long run to get back into the regular academic environment again as well, as it's been very eery at times sitting at home alone. I'm being rather ridiculous in saying that though because I have spent a noticeable majority of my time out of the house these holidays. Only three of the days did I not see friends, an accomplishment with which I am pleased given the fact that I put the last two holiday periods totally to waste.

Then capping off today's routine is wage labour. I'm not so anxious about tonight's shift, as the usual Fordistic supervisor is not there, rather we are going to be under the leadership of a good friend of mine, Michael. He has a mullet! However, the primary personal qualm that I have always had with wage labour on a Monday night is that it runs until ten o' clock. By the time I get home, the house is all but asleep and I am forced to go to bed so as not to disturb anyone. This effectively renders my Monday finished at five o' clock, when I start work, because there is no time to chill out from then on.

It's almost nine o' clock and time for breakfast; and with that the cycle begins. I'm still trying to get my head around why today seems to be so trivial and cartoonish. I feel little -- except for confusion. It is assumed by yours truly that the day will reveal its secrets of light-heartedness as it progresses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home