Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Blank Days

I'm not complaining that I don't have to go to uni on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, but deciding what to do with the free time is a more difficult task than one would think. I was pleased initially with being able to set up my classes like this, because I see the possibility that I could work all day on these two weekdays, thus keeping the weekends free so that I can go to gigs or the like on Friday or Saturday nights. However, the trick is finding a job where the management will be willing to provide me with such strange shifts, and also to reshuffle my position on the roster when next semester comes around (then, I will have Mondays and Tuesdays off uni). Dad has suggested that I contact Allied Workforce (0800 LABOUR), but pretty much needless to say, that sort of thing's not really up my alley.

The idea of selling my time on Tuesdays and Wednesdays to an employer is less appealing now that I have made good use of this morning doing the readings for ethnomusicology and media studies. One thing about this year at uni is that it's going to be intense -- yes, regardless of the fact that I'm an arts student and that I only have to attend classes on three days. I just get the feeling that my time may be better spent studying rather than working, particularly considering that I am aiming very high this year. Looking ahead, the readings are very long. I had to read twenty-one pages for media studies today (well, it was recommended reading) and I will need to read a further forty sometime before the next lecture on Monday. That's what tomorrow's for. Ultimately, I need a job so that I can pay my uni fees and avoid the dreaded loan, but I can't help but ponder that I may be doing myself more good academically if I were to stay unemployed.

I realised when I was lying in bed this morning that my bedroom has a ceiling, and that the room itself is virtually a perfect square. This perspective-changing really appears to be working well so far. I would have never thought about stuff like my ceiling before I started making this effort, because I would have been distracted by everything that I was worrying about. At the same time it's a strange sensation to have changed so dramatically in such a short space of time. I think going back to uni has helped significantly. In the latter parts of the summer I had found myself being driven up the wall by boredom and monotony (that said, there's prog rock to be listened to at any time of day, and it's always a welcome comfort). I haven't bitten my nails in five whole days now, although the pseudo-sharp nail on my right index finger is becoming increasingly tantalising; I keep running it along my upper lip without knowing it, surveying its edibility. Refrain.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Thanks. I like it too. I feel a lot better about everything. I could probably do with working just one day. It's just that I would have to be earning enough to have forty dollars a week for uni, as well as some to put aside for my next holiday. Then the price of CDs needs to be factored in... Anyway, anything's possible.

3/01/2006 10:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home