Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Birth of a Season

As I left my house yesterday, on my way to see Alison and Cynthia, Summer appeared to explode forth from the womb of Mother Earth. I stood there somewhat shocked, albeit delighted at the same time, and let the afterbirth run down my face, squinting my eyes to minimise my discomfort. The bright colours ebbed and flowed across my vision. Slowly I tilted my head upwards in reverence. Summer gazed at me, smiling, her aquatic blue eyes a cavernous submarine cathedral. I smiled back.

Oculus cascaded forth along State Highway 23. By now the engine had achieved a healthy equilibrium and would have been whining along nicely. Except I couldn't hear it; the sound was being drowned by the cool summer air pouring through the fans. Awaken by Yes sizzled out of the stereo, the front left speaker crackling slightly from regular instances of over-abuse. Rick Wakeman's watery keyboard synths washed over me in a heavenly aural foam. Chris Squire's immaculate bassline throbbed sensually through my body. Jon Anderson's angelic vocals lapped at my ears gently, giving me goosebumps every now and then.

It really says something about a band when their music can give you something akin to a religious experience. Yes are one band that does that for me. Is this my song of summer? Quite possibly, so long as I don't play it out before uni finishes. I recommend it. Download it and give it a listen if you have the time. Hey, how awesome is it that it's practically early summer already? We hardly had a winter. The only real sign of winter that I saw was everyone around me falling ill. Gotta love global warming -- no, now I'm just being stupid.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

finally the gary that hides inside your head is coming out. hurrah!

afterbirth? im not particularly keen on that comparison..

8/30/2005 12:32 pm  
Blogger Gary said...

I thought it was an excellent metaphor for its relevance and its vividity factor.

I guess it does carry an ew-that's-disgusting factor as well...

8/30/2005 8:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, gross. it reminds of that sex and the city episode. where she ruins her shoes. shocking.

8/30/2005 10:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home